December 27, 2008 at 6:52 PM
For some scenarios in scientific parallel computations, one may need to configure to run the MPICH on a Windows Vista computer. This includes scenarios when running the cluster on the commodity hardware in the heterogeneous environments.
Say there is configuration according to the following specification:
1. Host - Windows Vista
2. Cluster node - Windows Server 2003
3. Cluster node - Windows Vista
In this configuration, computers 1 and 3 should have additional firewall rules:
1. Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. On Inbound Rules, right click and select New Rule... In the following dialog, enter parameters of the new rule.
Rule Type - Program
Program - in This program path enter: %SystemRoot%\System32\rclumad.exe
Action - Allow the connection
Profile - Depending on your environment, choose the correct check boxes.
Name - Enter rclumad.
2. Now locate the new rule in the list and open Properties dialog. Make sure the Protocols and Ports has the settings as follows:
3. Now you should be able to execute the tasks remotely passing through Windows Firewall.
December 11, 2008 at 10:26 AM
If you're doing a developement for WPF/Silverlight, these are the essential tools aiding you in routine tasks such as viewing an object graph or auto-generating a business form from your code:
Mole is a Visual Studio visualizer. Visualizers have been part of Visual Studio since version 2005. During debugging sessions, visualizers allow developers to view objects and data using a customized interface. Visual Studio ships with several simple but useful visualizers. Many developers have posted visualizers for .NET classes.
XAML Power Toys is a Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Multi-AppDomain Add-In that empowers WPF & Silverlight developers while working in the XAML editor. Its Line of Business form generation tools, Grid tools, DataGrid and ListView generation really shorten the XAML page layout time.